Neilson Grove Elementary School

Home of the Griffins

History

Neilson Grove ElementaryNeilson Grove opened in September, 2000. The new school was named after the family that died and reclaimed the land on the east side of Ferry Road, George Edward Neilson. George Neilson and his son Edward, who had married Ebba Bowing of Westham Island, bought the 160 acres of marsh land on the east side of Ferry Road in 1942 and started the laborious work of diking, draining and breaking their new farm.

George Neilson passed away in 1949 as did Ed Neilson and his wife in 1985. By this time most of the farm had been sold and their home property on Westminster Avenue was inherited by their son Dr. C. G. Neilson and daughter Mrs. Charles Elliott.

The farm the Neilsons reclaimed is now a thriving residential area with a developing golf course and of course, Neilson Grove Elementary school.